About Me

My photo
Hendersonville, Tennessee, United States
“I believe in the power of yoga,” says MPC YOGA FOR ALL founder Michele Priddy. “I have seen lives change, including my own, in deep, transformative and real ways.” Michele, who holds a Master’s degree in Special Education from Middle Tennessee State University and certification as a RYT-500 from Yoga Alliance, has more than two decades of experience helping adults and children of all ages and abilities reach their maximum potential. Her highly-individualized yoga classes, workshops and in-service training programs are more than just opportunities to for her students to move: they are transformational experiences made even richer by Michele’s deep understanding of yoga movement, breath work and philosophy coupled with an encyclopedic knowledge of anatomy and physiology. In addition to teaching yoga at Middle Tennessee’s most respected yoga schools, Michele has led workshops for children with disabilities, teachers, social service workers, parents and others on a variety of topics including Yoga for Children, Yin Yoga, Mindfulness, Adaptive Yoga and Vinyasa Flow.

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Running in Community


There are times when running is a solo event, one person, one race, one set of shoes, one breath pattern. I love running alone, just me, my shoes and an open road. There is another type of running that is worthy of exploration, a type of run that will sharpen your focus, test your fitness, and expand your joy. Recently I have discovered the joys of running with a partner. In June of this year I began running with my nine year old son Brendon who has Muscular Dystrophy. He saw me complete many races and wanted to race too! So I began including him. Because he uses a wheelchair I had to get special equipment. Together, with me pushing, we ran up hills (many, many hills), through neighborhoods, at the beach, and away from dogs. The Christie Cookie 5K at the Green Hills YMCA on September 20, 2008 marked the finish of our third race (2 5K's and 1 half marathon). Each race has taken on it's own theme. This race was about community.

I often have difficulty with the 5K race. The crowds, short distance, and unfamiliar trails tend to get in the way of my ever developing a rhythm. I usually don't feel comfortable or have a good pace going until after the first two miles. I get distracted trying to keep up with the other runners. This race was no different. In addition I had to make sure I kept out of the way of other runners with the stroller, found enough open space, and didn't clip any heals. Every step seemed to be an effort. I keep entering these races because:
1. There are plenty of them.
2. I get race practice for my upcoming marathon in November.
3. I get to be with other runners.
But the fourth reason is what motivated me to enter this race:
4. Another opportunity to share moments of joy with my son, to make racing possible for him!

When you run for someone else, it is more than an individual achievement and other racers recognize this. This race was a community event. We were cautious in our passing, and gave plenty of warning when we were coming upon someone. We had to yell out warning and the runners were receptive to us speeding by. We are careful to not intrude on another persons race by running into their heals or bumping up against their sides. In this race there was a long up hill somewhere into mile two. A lady with a grey shirt and red hat named Maria approached us, "I have experience stroller running," she said. "Would you like some help?" "Yes!" "Thank you," I replied. The hill looked exhausting, long and steep! Maria chatted a few minutes with Brendon and I told her a little about our racing together. I was careful to be aware of her race experience and asked if she was OK. I didn't want to take advantage of her generosity. She said she was OK and kept on pushing. I was grateful for the respite and the hill was falling away. With just a little more of the hill to go up,I took over and continued on with Brendon, both of us thanking her for her generosity.

I continued to struggle with my thoughts. Each breath was labored and each step an act of will to finish. Knowing I was partners with Brendon and he needed me to keep going so he could finish gave me the will to persevere. Another intuitive runner, with a yellow shirt, named Claire offered her assistance. With her hands on the stroller and mine at my sides we continued on in partnership, with Brendon finishing as our goal. This brief respite gave me just enough strength to continue. We thanked her for her help and I took over the stroller.

I felt a new sense of energy burst forward. My speed quickened as I faced the final 500 yards. Brendon always loves to go fast and he noticed the quickened pace. Without my two race helpers I am not sure I would have had this final speed. Brendon began his cheers toward the finish. The sprint toward the end is always his favorite part and I was grateful to have had the energy to make it a fast one.

I am grateful for this new found community of runners, the compassionate, thoughtful, attentive, selfless and generous ones, who put their own goals aside to help a running pair reach the same finish line. This sense of community running is not found in the solo experience. These two ladies affirmed my belief that the world is a safe place for my son and there are those who will accept his disability and lend a hand if needed. Thank you to Maria and Claire for being present to the needs of others. I challenge the rest of you runners to shake up the solo experience, become a member of the community of runners, run for someone else, offer a hand, shout out a word of encouragement. There is immense joy to be had in being a member of a community of runners with a shared goal to finish, no matter what they have to do to make that possible for all that enter.

No comments: