About Me

My photo
Hendersonville, Tennessee, United States
“I believe in the power of yoga,” says MPC YOGA FOR ALL founder Michele Priddy. “I have seen lives change, including my own, in deep, transformative and real ways.” Michele, who holds a Master’s degree in Special Education from Middle Tennessee State University and certification as a RYT-500 from Yoga Alliance, has more than two decades of experience helping adults and children of all ages and abilities reach their maximum potential. Her highly-individualized yoga classes, workshops and in-service training programs are more than just opportunities to for her students to move: they are transformational experiences made even richer by Michele’s deep understanding of yoga movement, breath work and philosophy coupled with an encyclopedic knowledge of anatomy and physiology. In addition to teaching yoga at Middle Tennessee’s most respected yoga schools, Michele has led workshops for children with disabilities, teachers, social service workers, parents and others on a variety of topics including Yoga for Children, Yin Yoga, Mindfulness, Adaptive Yoga and Vinyasa Flow.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Gratitude is Intentional

I am so excited I now have one follower on my blog! I love to see your comments and that somehow my story touches you. Hopefully it inspires you to develop your own story. That is the only way we can learn, I think, is by sharing our stories!

Today I set out for a short 50 minute run. The air was cool and the sun was bright. I decided to head to Moss Wright Park as I'm getting a little tired of my other courses. I couldn't wake Andrew to go with me, he stayed up too late last night.

Half way into my run, I realized that I have been doing a lot of talking to God, making requests, listing my demands, and what I needed with very little thought to all the blessings I have already been given: the sun shining brightly, the beautiful park, time to run this morning, my special moms who came to my house last night to fellowship, etc. I began to realize that He already knows what I need and I am already receiving all I need. I switched gears and began to run with gratitude. I began to list all the things I was grateful for on this beautiful morning. With each thing I said a memorized prayer. I had to really concentrate on what I was doing because my mind kept going to my list of requests again, patience, strength, success, etc. It is so easy to slip into self centered prayer. Staying in gratitude takes discipline and concentration. It is a form of meditation that takes lots of practice. Running the distances I do gives me ample time to practice. Really, you would think after logging in the miles which number in the thousands right now, I would be better at gratitude, it would come easier and be more natural. But it is still something I have to do with intention. I think God is happy with the fact that I continue to try.

"I am focusing my eye on the prize which lies before me" Put one foot, or if you're in a wheelchair, roll one wheel in front of the other, with each move forward focusing on gratitude letting each intention bring you into God's presence.

Happy meditation!

1 comment:

Karen said...

Michele
You are amazing! You will love San Antonio. We lived there for 1 1/2 years while we were stationed at Fort Sam Houston. It's a beautiful city. Take some time for yourself and enjoy all of the history. I will be praying for you during your run. May God keep you safe from harm, allow your legs to feel light and wrap His loving arms around you. Hope to see you soon. I want to hear ALL about it!
Karen Hall