About Me

My photo
Hendersonville, Tennessee, United States
“I believe in the power of yoga,” says MPC YOGA FOR ALL founder Michele Priddy. “I have seen lives change, including my own, in deep, transformative and real ways.” Michele, who holds a Master’s degree in Special Education from Middle Tennessee State University and certification as a RYT-500 from Yoga Alliance, has more than two decades of experience helping adults and children of all ages and abilities reach their maximum potential. Her highly-individualized yoga classes, workshops and in-service training programs are more than just opportunities to for her students to move: they are transformational experiences made even richer by Michele’s deep understanding of yoga movement, breath work and philosophy coupled with an encyclopedic knowledge of anatomy and physiology. In addition to teaching yoga at Middle Tennessee’s most respected yoga schools, Michele has led workshops for children with disabilities, teachers, social service workers, parents and others on a variety of topics including Yoga for Children, Yin Yoga, Mindfulness, Adaptive Yoga and Vinyasa Flow.

Thursday, October 23, 2008

I'm back... after taking 13 days off I am back on my marathon training schedule. With 21 days left to the San Antonio marathon, this is the last long run, 20 miles! Why would anyone want to take on the challenge of running a 26.2 mile marathon? For me it's a way to be a little less crazy. Life is difficult, emotional and frustrating. Running gives me perspective, I put myself through a vigorous schedule toward a goal. Three reasons keep me running, through difficulties, aches, and busy schedules.

1. It is my spiritual connection: there is something about running that connects me to God. We talk, OK mostly I talk, but through the exertion of my body I get answers - how to improve my relationships, sorting through a conflict and determining my part - solutions to career related problems - and overcoming writers block, to name just a few. I get to go places on the road a car can't get into and I love paying attention to the noises, the color, the scenery God has put in my path which in day to day life I tend to ignore.

2. Running is my way to release emotions that could easily overcome me: anger, fear, depression, and sadness. There is something about physical exertion and doing something in which you can focus your physical self on that allows the thinking and emotions to get right sized and I can go about the things that happen in my day.

3. Running is a family event for me. I have three boys and finding something physical to do with them is sometimes difficult. My oldest son and I have run two half marathons and several 5K races together. When your children enter into adulthood and go away to college, it is sometimes difficult to make connections. Running keeps us connected. My middle son doesn't like running as much right now but he has completed several 5K races with me, and if he is not in the race with me he is cheering and taking pictures. I also know he has respect for my physical ability since running is harder for him right now. I now also run with my youngest son , pushing him in his stroller. It is my way of teaching him that just because he has a disability doesn't mean he has to be limited. Even my husband is involved: driving us to the races, paying the entry fees, taking video and pictures and having water at the finish line!

These things keep me running: God, stability and family. What more can a person ask from life! And... there's nothing like crossing a finish line, and one final reward... the medal!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of you Michele! You and Brendon are in my prayers. Love, Karen S.

LA said...

You go big sis' see you at the finish in SA...you will probably complete before me...hee hee..no seriously!!!:)
-LA

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to feel that sort of inspiration - see you in SA. Love ya, Sally