About Me

My photo
Hendersonville, Tennessee, United States
“I believe in the power of yoga,” says MPC YOGA FOR ALL founder Michele Priddy. “I have seen lives change, including my own, in deep, transformative and real ways.” Michele, who holds a Master’s degree in Special Education from Middle Tennessee State University and certification as a RYT-500 from Yoga Alliance, has more than two decades of experience helping adults and children of all ages and abilities reach their maximum potential. Her highly-individualized yoga classes, workshops and in-service training programs are more than just opportunities to for her students to move: they are transformational experiences made even richer by Michele’s deep understanding of yoga movement, breath work and philosophy coupled with an encyclopedic knowledge of anatomy and physiology. In addition to teaching yoga at Middle Tennessee’s most respected yoga schools, Michele has led workshops for children with disabilities, teachers, social service workers, parents and others on a variety of topics including Yoga for Children, Yin Yoga, Mindfulness, Adaptive Yoga and Vinyasa Flow.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Meeting a Challenge

Nine years ago I had my youngest son. He was born with Muscular Dystrophy a genetic disability. I strived to live as ordinary a life as we could despite numerous doctor appointments, therapists, educators, adaptive equipment, feeding equipment, and other inconveniences. At the time I was adjusting to our new circumstance I was mother to two other children, (one who was later diagnosed with ADHD and with all the energy that Brendon didn't have) and a new city and husband with a new high demanding job. I struggled for many years with being the mom I wanted to be and meeting the needs of my family. Even though I was a former teacher and had a degree in special education, I was in no way prepared for the emotional roller coaster I was riding. One thing that I always enjoyed was running. I completed two three marathons prior to Brendon's birth, one in which I was unknowingly pregnant with Brendon. Following Brendon's birth I continued to run to maintain my sanity. I found that I could release my fears and frustrations as my body pushed to run faster, harder, and through pain. I was able to release some of the emotional pain through vigerous running. I completed another marathon and 1/2 marathon following Brendon's birth. Then life got busy, we moved again, more medical appointments, proceedures, therapy, numerous school meetings, etc. and my running dropped off. I simply didn't have time. I started suffering physical and emotional illness. After almost three years of enduring my own hosiptalizations and medical proceedures, I decided to take controlof my health and sanity again. I began running again this year and completed the courtry music 1/2 marathon mainly because my oldest son who was going off to college at the end of the year suggested it. I was able to connect with him through running. I began to think, maybe this would be something I could share with my three boys. My middle son who had ADHD completed a 5 K with me. I saw a friend of mine Tommy McAuley start a foundation similiar to TEAMHOYT and saw him completing local 5k and 10k races. Brendon began asking me if he could run with me. This got me thinking about how I could connect with him as I was able to connect with Ryan, my oldest and Andrew my middle son. Why not! We began asking questions and found Kathy at Team HOyt very helpful with infomation and contacts and Team McAuley with equipment suggestions. We even discovered Team Rocket that had some great training and race suggestions and tips for running pushing strollers and wheelchairs. I am forever greatful to those that have come before me for inspiring me to think, WHY NOT US! We began training and I stared a blog, we raised money for Muscular Dystrophy which coincidently airs it's Jerry Lewis Telethon on Labor Day. This race will represent the endless possibilities, the acceptnce of the community, the joy of completion of a goal, and the return of mom to sanity. This process even begun a new career path for me in which I will share my writings with others and develop workshops and speaking engagements to encourage others to celeberate the joy in their life and explore all the possiblities. It is so much more than a race for me and my family. It is about acceptance of limitations, accomplishment despite those limitations, community awareness, finding your joy and overcoming fears! I would like to offer a work of gratitude for all who have shared in our journey. If you ask Brendon what this race is about, he'll tell you, "It's all about the medal"! Blessings to all running, and have a blast, I know we will!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you are awesome, Michele! Hugs, Kisses and good running vibes being sent your way.
-Your Baby Sis'