About Me

My photo
Hendersonville, Tennessee, United States
“I believe in the power of yoga,” says MPC YOGA FOR ALL founder Michele Priddy. “I have seen lives change, including my own, in deep, transformative and real ways.” Michele, who holds a Master’s degree in Special Education from Middle Tennessee State University and certification as a RYT-500 from Yoga Alliance, has more than two decades of experience helping adults and children of all ages and abilities reach their maximum potential. Her highly-individualized yoga classes, workshops and in-service training programs are more than just opportunities to for her students to move: they are transformational experiences made even richer by Michele’s deep understanding of yoga movement, breath work and philosophy coupled with an encyclopedic knowledge of anatomy and physiology. In addition to teaching yoga at Middle Tennessee’s most respected yoga schools, Michele has led workshops for children with disabilities, teachers, social service workers, parents and others on a variety of topics including Yoga for Children, Yin Yoga, Mindfulness, Adaptive Yoga and Vinyasa Flow.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Perfect Running Conditions

Today was a perfect weather running day. It was a cool 63 degrees at 6:20 this morning. The sky was bright and clear. I set out for my longest training run, 12 miles. I decided to seek out the paths in my neighborhood I had never ran before. In Sherwood Forest subdivision I picked up a dog. He stayed with me throughout the next 6 miles. Who would have though in the suvdivision there would be roosters. This is one of the things I love doing, hearing different sounds, seeing different sights. There were several steep hills on the first half of my run. The dog continued on trailing me into the next subdivision. I was heading to highway 258 and I was wondering what to do with the dog. There was no way he was going to be safe on that road. Luckily he had a tag on and I called his owner to come get his dog. Back to solo running. I decided to head down a road next to Hunter Middle School I had never gone on before. It turned out to be the best road I've run on yet in Hendersonville. It was about a mile and a half in, flat, shaded, narrow, and not a car in sight. I ran past cows, I love running past cows, they always stop to see what you're doing and follow you with your eyes. I had a brief conversation with them and on I ran. I headed to Beech High School, ran around there for awhile, enjoying watching people getting ready to head to Long Hollow Church for morning worship.

Running is medative for me.I was able to reflect on a presentation I will be doing at a local church. I reflected on the words "differently abled". We tend to think of this term in a negative manner, what a person doesn't have that we perceive they should. Then I started to think about my oldest son Ryan, who will be heading off to college in three short days. I thought of his ability to wrestle, an emotionally difficult and often draining sport. He was also giften in the abilty to play football, aren't these things that make him different from most people, in other words "differently abled"? I certainly wouldn't be able to twist my body and someone elses in the manner necessary to wrestle, and I definitely couldn't take the hits common in football. These things distinguish Ryan from most, they are his differently abled abilities. We all have them, they are Gods gifts to us that make us one of a kind. Discover your abilities, the things that make you stand out, make you different, enjoy them and be grateful for what they bring to your lives.

Happy running, dare to be different!

M

No comments: